Saturday 8 March 2014

My morning and evening facial cleansers


I am no expert in skincare but I expect to use a different form of facial cleanser day and morning.  Today I just want to focus on facial cleansers.

In the morning, I just need something that is refreshing and to wash off any possible oil (not often found) that has formed on my face overnight.  Since relocating to Hong Kong, the climate is clearly a lot more different to London, I found myself opting for a lighter form of facial cleanser for the morning.  I used to slap on cream form facial cleanser in the morning but now I've opted for something more of a lighter and foamy form.  This L'Oreal Hydra Fresh Hydrating Refreshing Creamy Foam.  As I have quite dehydrated skin, whilst a foamy form facial cleanser could be a little drying, I like this a hybrid between a cream and foam; it cleanses and at the same time doesn't leave my skin feeling stripped.

The other tricky part of my skin sensitive, despite I understand the importance of exfoliating (anti-ageing and hydrating!), I generally find any manual exfoliator too harsh, or those exfoliator in a toner form a little bit too erosive for my face.  I'm glad I found this one by dermalogica, it's a daily microexfoliant which I use every other morning. I'm not gonna lie but this good stuff is a little bit of a pricey number however it's lasted me for a good 10 months and I feel that the product inside is still going strong, and more importantly it suits my skin and gives a real brightening effect, especially when my skin feels a bit dull and distressed.  I was actually prescribed this powder during a skin mapping analysis session at the Dermalogica counter, you can check out here for the details.

You might find it surprised to hear that I actually avoid using an oil form of facial cleanser despite my dehydrated skin as I have fear of the oil blocking my pores..... However ever since I became hooked on using facial cleansing balm, I feel more adventurous so I found my way back to cleansing oil.  I remember using the Shu Uemura Cleansing Oil in my early 20s but later on being advised it might be too heavy on my skin.  10 years passed, my skin has definitely evolved (meaning: aged!) to say the least; and that now I wear makeup almost everyday; I do need a good and thorough cleanse in the evening, also something a little more hydrating and soothing to my skin.   So instead of using a creamy foam cleanser, in the evening I have now switched from using a cleansing balm to the DHC Deep Cleansing Oil (which I've been wanting to try for absolutely ages!).  As I haven't used this long enough to give a more detailed review, all I can share is that even though it's an oil, it doesn't leave my skin feeling greasy or oily at all.  It doesn't sting my eyes so I feel comfortable rubbing it in circular motion especially around my eyes to get rid of any last bits of makeup which wasn't removed by my makeup remover.  After washing my face using clean water, I feel that my skin feels really refreshed and clean, and almost have a brightening effect which is quite lasting to the following morning.  So far, so good!

Do you use different forms of facial cleanser morning and evening?  What do you look for in a facial cleanser?

No comments:

Post a Comment